What is the purpose of the physical education and school sport premium?The government is continuing to provide a PE and Sports Premium for primary-aged pupils on the same basis as last year; to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and is to be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sports provision. The allocation for this academic year 2020/2021 is calculated using the number of pupils in Years 1 to 6, therefore the grant is £19,040. Schools are free to determine how best to use this grant to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sports provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels of which they are capable.
Evidencing the Impact of Primary PE and Sport PremiumThe Department of Education vision for the Primary PE and Sport Premium is that ALL pupils will leave primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
1. the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
2. the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvemen
3. increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
4. broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
5. increased participation in competitive sport